Top 10 Celebrity Splits Of 2014
Major Hollywood couples became no more in 2014 as some of the biggest stars separated, split, broke up and got divorced. Some marriages ended after a decade, other relationships didn’t last nearly that long, and one musically-inclined couple called it quits for the third time. Check out Gossip Cop’s list of the Top 10 Celebrity Splits of 2014, and tell us which you think was most shocking.
1. Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin caught everyone off-guard when they announced their separation on her website Goop in March after 10 years of marriage. People were more stunned, though, by the couple’s statement, in which they said they decided to “consciously uncouple,” a phrase that went on to become a pop culture meme. The two have made good on their promise to co-parent their kids, Apple and Moses, being seen together countless times in the months since their announcement. Martin has denied speculation that he and Paltrow are reuniting, saying, “The thing we told everyone at the beginning of the year is true. We are very close. We are not together… You know, there’s a lot of love. No scandal, I’m afraid. I wish I could give you scandal.”
2. Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, however, sure brought some scandal with their split, which was revealed over the summer, following reports that claimed they had already been separated for some time. In September, Cannon blasted tabloid stories surrounding their impending divorce. “What infuriates me most is to hear people slander @MariahCarey. I will forever be in debted [sic] to her for blessing me with our children,” he tweeted in defense of the singer. “I will always love her unconditionally for this and so much more.” Cannon, who also denied cheating with Amber Rose, went on to say in interviews that they are continuing to raise their twins together, and spent Thanksgiving as a family. Carey, though, has yet to comment on the breakup, which came after an uncharacteristically quiet sixth wedding anniversary, and divorce negotiations reportedly caused her to miss her “Christmas in Rockefeller Center” taping earlier this month. Just this week, Cannon denied he has a diss album in the works.
3. Paula Patton and Robin Thicke announced their separation in February, after nearly 10 years of marriage and more than 20 years together as teenage sweethearts. Thicke repeatedly vowed to win her back, making declarations to the paparazzi and dedicating his concert performances to the actress. He debuted a new song called “Get Her Back” at the Billboard Music Awards in May, the same month Patton expressed ambivalence about reconciling, saying, “All I can tell you is there’s a deep love there — always was, and always will be.” Thicke went on to title his new album Paula, and in court papers in September, the crooner admitted that Patton had left him because he confessed to secretly abusing drugs and alcohol. She filed for divorce the next month, with a rep telling Gossip Cop that things were now amicable between the pair, who are parents to a four-year-old son.
4. Kate Hudson and Matthew Bellamy revealed in early December that they called off their engagement and had actually been separated for quite a while, despite continuing to pose on red carpets together. The couple became engaged in 2011, a few months after revealing she was pregnant. In the time since welcoming their son Bingham, Hudson was noncommittal about wedding plans, but had vowed in an interview last year that they would get married. Now the duo “remain very close friends and committed co-parents,” said her rep, while Bellamy tweeted, “We’re both very happy, it’s for the best.” They went on to continue their Christmas tradition of going to Aspen as a family.
5. Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart similarly kept up appearances, attending the Billboard Music Awards together in May, shortly before it was revealed in June that they had actually ended their longtime relationship weeks prior. The breakup was surrounded by rumors that the dancer-choreographer had cheated with a transgender model, claims he adamantly denied before threatening a lawsuit. The couple, who were together for more than two years, have stayed close, and have been spotted hanging out together and chatting at events. Numerous tabloid stories have emerged in the wake of the split, all of which Gossip Cop corrected, including false claims that Smart was writing a tell-all book about the singer, vacationing with her family, and reconciling with her in October.
6. Jordin Sparks and Jason Derulo unexpectedly called it quits in September after more than two years of dating. With Derulo’s hit “Marry Me,” the two seemed destined to walk down the aisle together, but he revealed that it was marriage pressure that actually led him to break things off… over the phone. The star also denied rumors that he cheated, and even one story that claimed he got another woman pregnant. For her part, Sparks blasted Derulo in her remix of Drake’s “How About Now,” suggesting he changed once his fame grew.
7. Hilary Duff and Mike Comrie “mutually decided to an amicable separation” in early January, and went on to spend the next 12 months showing they were still as close as ever, leading to repeatedly wrong claims that they had officially reconciled. In February, the actress-singer and former hockey player spent Valentine’s Day together, and in April they hit up Coachella, after which Gossip Cop was assured the estranged spouses were still just good friends, particularly as they worked together to co-parent their son Luca. In July, Duff revealed that she remained conflicted over the relationship, and that she was working to figure it out. That still seemed to be case in October, when she and Comrie were seen holding hands together, even though, once again, they were not back together as a couple.
8. Amber Rose and Wiz Khalifa had a messy split in September following just a year of marriage. Rose filed for divorce after the rapper allegedly cheated on her while on tour, but he accused her of cheating as well, a claim she denied on Twitter. Heartbroken, she tweeted in early October, “The pain…I wake up every morning feeling like my best friend died. I never knew what a true heartache felt like until now.” Things turned amicable by the end of the month, though, with Khalifa publicly wishing Rose a happy birthday. She responded warmly and included the hashtag, “#StillLoveYouNoMatterWhat.”
9. Katy Perry and John Mayer broke up for the third time in February. The on-and-off couple, who had been dating since 2012, had previously split in March 2013, before reuniting by that summer. They went on to become more public than ever before about their relationship, with Perry speaking about Mayer in interviews, and him dedicating songs to her at concerts. They even recorded a special duet together, called “Who You Love,” and filmed an intimate music video that Perry deemed “more authentic” than Kanye West’s infamous “Bound 2” clip with Kim Kardashian. Neither have commented, however, on their latest breakup.
10. Sherri Shepherd and Lamar Sally certainly had the year’s most contested split, with the former “View” co-host landing in court over both money and childcare. After Sally filed for divorce in May, following nearly three years of marriage, it was revealed that they had a baby on the way via surrogate. The child, a boy, was born in August, with Shepherd refusing any maternal obligation, as her camp claimed Sally tricked her into the surrogacy in attempt to score a payout. He has been trying to prove that Shepherd is legally obligated to support the child, while the TV star has accused him of stealing $20,000 from her, and wants their prenuptial agreement voided on the basis of fraud. The issues remain unresolved.