Catherine Zeta-Jones Talks Bipolar Disorder and Michael Douglas Cancer Fight
5:10 pm, July 23rd, 2013
Still, as Jones tells The Telegraph, she has made it through both ordeals stronger and more appreciative of her family.
It wasn’t always so easy to keep her strength, she shares. “When Michael was diagnosed with cancer I really thought, ‘You are going to have to wipe me off the floor.’”
“I haven’t had to deal with anything like that before, ever,” she continues. “I didn’t know what to do. I thought I didn’t have the [emotional] tools to cope,” adding, “I wasn’t as strong as I thought I could have been.”
In the end, Jones credits Douglas himself for getting her through the difficult times, and also says while “it did make us closer,” she “wouldn’t wish it on anybody.”
As for her own health, Jones admits that Douglas’ illness made managing her bipolar disorder difficult.
“When you get sideswiped like that [with Douglas’ illness] it’s an obvious trigger for your balance to be a little bit off – not sleeping, worry, stress. It’s a classic trigger.”
While Jones would have preferred to keep her struggle private, she knows “I’m not the only person who suffers with it or has to deal with it on a day-to-day basis. So if I’ve helped anybody by discussing bipolar or depression, that’s great.”
Now, with Douglas’ clean bill of health, Jones is in a better place.
“I get a bit gloomy when it’s gloomy,” she admits. “But I’m looking forward to the sun, my kids are doing great at school. I am very happy; we live a blessed life.’”
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- 8 Aww-Inspiring Baby Photos Of Celeb Kids
- Did Beyonce & Jay-Z Chemically Process Blue Ivy's Hair?
- The Brattiest Celebrity Kids
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- Renee Zellweger Looks Hardly Recognizable
- Kendall Jenner Gets A Completely New Look
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actress Adopts Her 'Direwolf'
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- Is Kim Kardashian Bald Underneath Her Weave?!