Carrie Underwood: I Support Gay Marriage
5:17 pm, June 11th, 2012
Carrie Underwood has come out in support of same-sex marriage.
The devoutly Christian country star explains her position in a new interview with The Independent.
“As a married person myself, I don’t know what it’s like to be told I can’t marry somebody I love, and want to marry,” says Underwood. “I can’t imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love.”
Underwood married hockey player Mike Fisher in 2010.
The singer, who was raised in a Baptist church, says she and Fisher attend a non-denominational congregation she describes as “gay friendly.”
Underwood explains, “Above all, God wanted us to love others. It’s not about setting rules, or [saying] ‘Everyone has to be like me.’ No. We’re all different. That’s what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other. It’s not up to me to judge anybody.”
The onetime “American Idol” champ says she disagrees with “people who use the Bible for hate.”
“That’s not how I would want myself as a Christian to be represented,” says Underwood.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top 10 Picks to Play Christian Grey
- Lady Gaga Debuts Flying Dress
- Snag Julianne Hough's Totally Dreamy French Braided Halo
- Lorde's Royally Cute Music Video Look
- Kim Kardashian's Mommy Time With North West
- Nelson Mandela Passes Away At Age 95
- Julianne Hough Is Looking Very Different These Days
- 8 Aww-Inspiring Baby Photos Of Celeb Kids
- John Mayer & Katy Perry's Romantic Photoshoot
- Sandra Bullock Already Has Son Potty Trained