Carmageddon: So Far, So Good for Hollywood Stars and L.A. Residents
2:58 pm, July 16th, 2011
“Carmageddon” has arrived – but so far, so good.
This weekend’s long-feared closure of the 405 freeway in Los Angeles, which had the LAPD asking celebrities to tweet advisories and Hollywood gripped in panic, has been calm in its first hours.
“Not gonna lie – loving LA during this #Carmageddon scare – there is zero traffic,” tweets Jessica Alba. “It’s like LA at xmas peace n quiet EVERYWHERE!”
But officials are still warning that things could get ugly as traffic picks up later on Saturday.
More than two dozen celebrities responded to the police department’s request for assistance in getting out the word via Twitter – including Kim Kardashian, Conan O’Brien, Ashton Kutcher and Ryan Seacrest.
After weeks of warnings, many residents opted to stay off the roads entirely today, resulting in even less traffic than usual for motorists.
“There has been a lot of hype, and well-intentioned hype, because we wanted to make sure people really got the message: stay at home!” Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa tells the Los Angeles Times.
Paris Hilton heeded the warning, tweeting, “I’m not leaving my house to drive anywhere this weekend.”
As for the non-apocalyptic traffic situation to this point, many celebs are hopeful.
“The only time I support fear based propaganda is for things like y2k and Carmageddon,” tweeted “The Voice” star Adam Levine. “That s**t works.”
Tiffany Thornton wrote, “Headed out for another awesome day of filming for Disney. So far carmageddon isn’t bad at all.”
As smoothly as things have gone (so far), some celebs just want the whole thing to be over already.
“If I hear the term ‘carmageddon’ one more time I’m gonna scream,” tweeted Lucy Hale.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Is Robyn Ready For Her Comeback?
- The Truth Behind Lana Del Rey's New Music
- Celebs De-Stress in Distressed Jeans
- Actors Who Refuse To Work Together
- Celebs Who Are Famous Because of Their Parents