Brian Williams: “Ego” Made Me Lie, Suspension Was “Torture” (VIDEO)
Brian Williams’ first interview about his NBC suspension and demotion in the wake of lying about his involvement in an Iraqi war incident aired on Friday’s “Today Show.” Watch below.
As Gossip Cop reported, Williams was suspended from “NBC Nightly News” earlier this year after it was confirmed he repeatedly claimed his helicopter was shot down, when, in fact, he was never in any danger. The six-month suspension has now led to an official job change. On Thursday, it was announced Lester Holt will permanently be the “Nightly News” anchor, while Brian Williams will cover breaking news for MSNBC.
“Obviously I wanted to return to my old job. I thought we’d had a great 10-year run and were on top for most of that time. I pushed back at first,” Williams told Matt Lauer about the official shake-up. “Enough time has passed, I accept the decision.”
Williams also accepts that the suspension, which he calls “torture,” was something he himself caused. “These statements I made, I own this. I own up to this,” he said. The veteran newsman explained, “It had to have been ego that made me think I had to be sharper, funnier, quicker than anybody else.”
“I told the story correctly for years, before I told it incorrectly,” he continued. “I was not trying to mislead people. That to me is a huge difference here… It came from a bad place. It came from a sloppy choice of words. I told stories that were not true.”
The once revered journalist has vowed to earn back trust “What has happened in the past has been identified and torn apart by me and has been fixed, has been dealt with. And going forward, there are going to be different rules of the road,” he said. “I am sorry for what happened here. I am different as a result, and I expect to be held to a different standard.”
Williams further said, “I am a grateful person. I am fully aware of the second chance I have been given. I don’t intend to squander it.” Check out the video below, and tell us what you think.