Brian Williams Apologizes After Lester Holt Is Announced As NBC Nightly News Anchor
Brian Williams apologized on Thursday for fabricating some of the events during a 2003 trip to Iraq, after which he falsely stated that he was aboard a Chinook helicopter caught in enemy fire. Williams’ apology came as NBC News announced that Lester Holt would permanently replace him as “NBC Nightly News” anchor.
“I’m sorry. I said things that weren’t true,” said Williams in a statement, adding. “I let down my NBC colleagues and our viewers, and I’m determined to earn back their trust. I am grateful for the chance to return to covering the news. My new role will allow me to focus on important issues and events in our country and around the world, and I look forward to it.”
Williams will now be a breaking news anchor on MSNBC, as well as occasionally fill in for Holt on NBC News live special reports. As Gossip Cop reported at the time, NBC News suspended Williams for six months earlier this year, after the veteran anchor admitted to making up parts of his Iraqi war reporting. Williams repeatedly said he was on a helicopter shot down by enemy fire when, in fact, he was on a helicopter that was nowhere near the gunfire. At the time, Williams blamed his “mistake” on constantly “viewing the video showing us inspecting the impact area – and the fog of memory over 12 years – made me conflate the two [helicopters], and I apologize.”
With the long-rumored job shuffle now official, Williams is expected to do his first interview on the controversy on Friday’s “Today Show.” What do you think of the newsman’s new statement?