Elizabeth Smart Kidnapper Found Guilty, Faces Life Sentence
1:33 pm, December 10th, 2010BREAKING!
The federal jury in Salt Lake City rejected the defense’s insanity claims less than 12 hours after deliberations began.
Mitchell faces a possible sentence of life in prison.
The convicted “street preacher” was found guilty on counts of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor across state lines for the purposes of illegal sex.
Mitchell abducted Smart when she was 14, keeping her captive for 9 months.
The defense tried to argue that his delusions prevented Mitchell from distinguishing right and wrong. Prosecutors claimed he simply used the illusion of serious mental illness to manipulate others.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- 10 Best Celebrity Quotes About Being Pregnant
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- Super Geeky Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hotties
- Does Ian Somerhalder Have a New Girlfriend?
- A-List Stars Who Failed at Marriage