Bradley Cooper on Booze, Drug Addiction: Felt I Was “Gonna Ruin My Life”
5:51 pm, September 5th, 2012
Bradley Cooper opens up about his struggles with drugs, alcohol and self-image in the new issue of The Hollywood Reporter.
The reigning “Sexiest Man Alive,” who stars in the new movie The Words, reveals he’s been sober for more than seven years — after his addictions nearly destroyed him.
Cooper recounts one incident in which, while high, he “deliberately bashed” his head on a concrete floor at a party, “like, ‘Hey, look how tough I am!’”
“And I came up, and blood dripped down. And then I did it again,” he recalls, adding, “I spent the night at St. Vincent’s Hospital with a sock of ice, waiting for them to stitch me up.”
Part of Cooper’s issues stemmed from insecurity, he says, explaining, “I was so concerned what you thought of me, how I was coming across, how I would survive the day. I always felt like an outsider. I just lived in my head.”
He continues, “I realized I wasn’t going to live up to my potential, and that scared the hell out of me. I thought, ‘Wow, I’m actually gonna ruin my life; I’m really gonna ruin it.’”
“I remember looking at my life, my apartment, my dogs, and I thought, ‘What’s happening?’” Cooper says.
Now the actor says he doesn’t “drink or do drugs at all anymore.”
“Being sober helps a great deal,” he tells the magazine.
Check out behind-the-scenes video of Cooper’s THR shoot below!
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Did Kim Kardashian Wax Her Babies Eyebrows?
- Celebrity Breakups: Who Called it Quits in 2013?
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Kate Bosworth's New Red Hair - Makeover or Makeunder?
- Demi Lovato Rocks The Skrillex Look
- 10 Famous Couples Who Should Never Split Up
- 9 Celebs Who Married Average Joes
- Celebrities Remember Their First Kiss