Betty White Birthday: Gossip Cop Blows Out 5 Rumors In Star’s Honor
Betty White turns 95 on Tuesday! In honor of the Hollywood icon’s birthday, Gossip Cop is looking back at five rumors we exclusively “blew out” about the “Golden Girls” star.
1. Last June, RadarOnline spread an alarming story falsely claiming White was suffering from Alzheimer’s. The webloid alleged the legendary actress was struggling to remember her lines and even forgot where she was during one shoot. White was “deteriorating before our eyes,” the site dramatically declared. Fortunately, a rep exclusively told Gossip Cop that she was actually in good health, and these allegations were “not true.”
2. In 2014, a death rumor went viral after a satirical website published this headline: “Actress Betty White, 92, Dyes Peacefully In Her Los Angeles Home.” Most people did not pick up on the “dyed” spelling, and wrongly believed the “Hot In Cleveland” star had actually died. What was meant to be an (unfunny) joke about White dyeing her hair turned into needless panic among fans. White was alive and well, just as she is today.
3. A purported White interview with the Daily Mail was widely picked up in 2011 after she was quoted as bashing both Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen. “They party too much, don’t learn their lines, are unprofessional and they grumble about everything. I think they are terribly ungrateful,” she supposedly said about contemporary celebrities, adding, “I cannot stand the people who get wonderful starts in show business, and who abuse it. Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen, for example, although there are plenty of others, too.” But White’s rep told Gossip Cop that, despite the paper’s attribution, she never made the quoted remarks.
4. Perez Hilton alleged back in 2010 that White was being “enlisted” to star in Men In Black 3. The bad blogger had no idea what role she might play, but nevertheless said there was “sources” confirming the casting. He even begged, “Do not disrespect her and make her some gruesome alien.” But it was Hilton who disrespected the star by running a totally false story. Gossip Cop was told by White’s rep that “no one” had “ever approached” her to join the movie.
5. That same year, the now-defunct PopEater claimed White’s successful stint hosting “Saturday Night Live” might lead her to join “Dancing with the Stars.” The article asserted there was renewed interest in the actress competing on the ABC show, but failed to mention White herself had already said she had no desire to participate. Furthermore, a source close to the production told Gossip Cop there wasn’t any new offer for the star, while one of our White contacts deemed the story a “ridiculous rumor.”
After decades in show business, White remains beloved, and that unfairly makes her a target for unfounded gossip. But in her 95th year and beyond, Gossip Cop will still be here to bust all the bad dish as necessary. For now, we just wish White a happy, rumor-free birthday!