Azealia Banks Birthday: Rapper’s 5 Biggest Controversies As She Turns 25
Azealia Banks is only turning 25 on Tuesday, and she’s already made quite the name for herself in the celebrity world. In fact, this past year was her biggest to date, but that might not be a good thing. Check out some of Banks’ biggest controversies as she rings in her birthday.
1. The rapper kicked off her 24th year with — what else? — a feud! A month and half after her birthday last year, Banks blasted MTV after getting snubbed by the MTV Video Music Awards nominations. Banks tweeted, “All my videos deserve VMAs and my album deserves a Grammy but I’ll never get one because America doesn’t like opinionated black women.” Her VMAs drama continued when the rapper weighed in on Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus’ on-air spat. “All of y’all bitches are whack and make boring music and rip all ur styles off the downtown NYC girls,” she wrote on Twitter. She added, “It’s so funny to wake up and see nicki and Miley or nicki and taylor fighting when you ALL make basic ass music. it’s a ki!!!…ITS A CONTEST OF THE BASICS.”
2. In September, Banks was almost arrested following an incident on a flight from New York to Los Angeles. The rapper got into a heated exchange with a passenger, reportedly punching and spitting on him. She also called a male flight attendant a “f*cking f*ggot.” And that wasn’t the only physical incident last fall. Banks also got into it with a club security guard in L.A. in October, and was accused of biting the breast of Manhattan bouncer in December.
3. This past April, Banks got into a heated feud with Sarah Palin on Twitter. The spat began after the rapper was duped by a satirical article that claimed the former Alaska governor had said black people willingly accepted slavery. The rapper went after Palin in a series of tweets, with one suggesting Palin should be gang-raped by black men. After Palin threatened to sue, Banks offered an apology… before blasting the former vice presidential candidate again.
4. Earlier this month, Banks went on a Twitter tirade directed towards Zayn Malik, claiming the former One Direction singer lifted style and imagery from her “Yung Rapunzel” music video for his “Like I Would” video. Among a number of racist and homophobic tweets, Banks wrote, “@zaynmalik still doesn’t change the fact that your mother is a dirty refugee who won’t be granted asylum,” as well as “LOL @ZAYNMALIK IS A F*GGOT.”
5. Two days after that latest blow-up, Twitter suspended Banks account. The same week, the rapper tried to downplay the controversy by issuing an apology on Instagram. She wrote, “Now that the immediacy of the infamous incident has worn off, I’ve had sometime to decompress & take a more rational assessment of things. I want to extend my sincerest apologies to the world.” Banks continued, “Employing racial/sexist slurs/stereotypes in attempt to make fun of or degrade another person or group is absolutely unacceptable and is not fair or fun for anyone.”
She added, “Allowing my anger to get the best of me, I’ve managed to insult millions of people without reason. And for that I give my deepest apologies.” As of Tuesday, though, the rapper’s Twitter account remains suspended. Gossip Cop hopes Banks is able to have a peaceful birthday, and we wish her a 25th year that is far better than her last. No matter the highs or the lows, we’ll be here to cover it all.