Amy Winehouse Died from Alcohol Poisoning

Truth rating: 10

By Michael Lewittes


Amy Winehouse was almost five times over what the legal drunk-driving limit is when she died, a pathologist revealed on Wednesday.

During an inquest into the singer’s’ death, it emerged Winehouse consumed a large amount of liquor after having been sober for three weeks, which caused her breathing to stop and landed her in a coma. Coroner Suzanne Greenaway ruled that it was “death by misadventure,” saying the singer died of accidental alcohol poisoning.

“The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels [of alcohol] was her sudden and unexpected death,” Greenaway stated.Police recovered three bottles of vodka from her home. A toxicology report had found no traces of illegal drugs in Winehouse’s system. The “Back to Black” singer was found dead in her London apartment on July 23.

The Winehouse family released a statement saying, “It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy. We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away, it is likely a build up of alcohol in her system over a number of days.”

“The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time. She had started drinking again that week after a period of abstinence.” Gossip Cop will have updates as the inquest continues on Wednesday, and unveils what occurred during the final hours of Winehouse’s life.

Enter your email address here to receive daily news updates from us.


  1. Gossip Cop
  2. Mediaite
  3. RunwayRiot
  4. The Mary Sue